Monday, September 03, 2007

Cruzin'












Big cities seem to afford certain opportunities that aren't so readily available in smaller towns. We are certainly thankful to be a part of such enterprises as NASA and BCM, but in addition to these, rolling around town in a 32-foot hummerzine isn't so bad either. Extravagant, sure, but border-line reasonable when split up among 18!

One of our best friends, Mark (whom Jesse lived with during his first 2 times here in Houston), just turned 30 a week ago this Saturday, so Laurie, my running partner and closest girl-friend here in Houston, organized an extravagant event to celebrate at his favorite spots all over the town.

Rocket scientists really know how to party! What a night.

Our life in Houston is really exciting and fulfilling - we are becoming part of a great church, we love our jobs (although they are demanding so much!), and are enjoying getting to know our new friends better and better ... yet, the start of football season just reminded me how much I miss Fayetteville.

As mentioned, Jesse & I are attending an awesome church in Friendswood where God is moving - that's super exciting. However, we greatly miss our wonderful church in Fayetteville, The Grove Church ... it is an amazing body of Christ that is steadfast at pursuing truth and living the mission to spread the gospel to the ends of the earth. Even though we are attempting to embody the mobilizing vision, really trying to live the call to go out to the unreached (specifically the scientific community here in Houston), it's so hard to be away from the people we love.

Speaking of game-day, I loved the energy on campus during football weekends. Those were precious times. Of course, I found a lot of joy in dawning Felix Jones's jersey once again on Saturday ... winter, spring, and summer is far too long of a stretch for not wearing a UA football jersey! It may be a bit controversial, but we're actually going to end up cheering for UT this weekend, as UA gets ready for Alabama the following weekend.

If there is one thing I miss the most, it is the random walks I used to squeeze into the hour or two between classes just in order to be with the Lord for a little while. I would walk from the university out onto Center, up around the square, across College and finally loop through the historic district off Dickson before returning. I have yet to find a perfect path in Houston, but I know it's here somewhere. I just need to look around the corner, I'm sure. Oh to be to be in Fayetteville, just for an hour or two!

All my love, to everyone who happens to breeze over these words.

- Shelly

2 Comments:

Blogger cara said...

I breezed. :) And I love getting quick glimpses into your life!

I'm teaching know -- and blogging about it. If you ever want a glimplse into a 6th grade math class.

Much love!

5:00 PM  
Blogger Shelly said...

WOW = so good to hear from you!!! I'm so proud of you ... you are doing a great thing, those kid are really lucky to have you!

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home