Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Loving the Giver

Word of the day:

ephemeral
Pronunciation: ef-em-ur-ul
Function: adj.
1. brief; fleeting



Today as I was running ... gorgeous, wonderful, no hindrances, just pure kinetic motion & clear thoughts ... I began to think about how beautiful all the trees were and began to warmly soak in the the descending rays of sunshine fading quickly into the horizon. I also like to do this little spread your arms out as far as possible as if trying to reach around something that's just too big - it's a wonderful way to enjoy your form.

Then I began thinking about something I had read earlier in the day from John Piper. He was talking about how we are naturally conditioned to love the gifts (nature, etc.) rather than the giver - but this makes no sense when we take a step back.

What to-be bride would prize her beautiful diamond ring perfectly cut to shine like no other over the person of her betrothed - the man who has been continually cut and shaped for her, the one she has been cut and shaped for? (Currently I am reminded of Lewis's lecture which contains the small phrase "the blows of his chisel that hurt us so much are the very blows" that carve the masterpiece.)

If you were to give up one thing, the ring or the man, obviously the ring must go. There is no gift without the giver. It is our duty and greatest fulfillment to fall in love with the giver and appropriately prize his gifts.

Neat thoughts.

God is SO faithful ... I wrote a couple days ago questioning whether I could trust Him. I can, I do, I will - He leads me to still waters and refreshes my soul, sweetness springs within and out through each part of me.

Trust Him - He has done great things for us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home