Monday, October 24, 2005

40 miles

So ... I ran 6.5 miles (roundtrip - I forget whether that's one word or two) over to the most beautiful neighborhood in Fayetteville - it's called Charleston Place, appropriately, because all the houses are those long, beautiful southern aboads with entry-level porches rounding the welcoming sides and 2nd story porches above the etnryway with a black fan that spins above the rocking chairs of two very old friends.

It's quite a lovely place, especially at night when the warm yellow lights are on through the venetian blinds. You drive by these people's houses, are inspired their patriotism displayed by the perfectly draped American flags, and just kind of wish you could live in one of these houses, too. Honestly, I would love to have a house like that, in a cute little neighborhood that has tons of little houses just like those: each one just unique enough so that you can love your own home and think the neighbors have great taste, too, and still be really glad that the one you own is actually yours. Charleston Place is one of those neighborhoods that makes an ideal life, ideal in the "American Dream" sense, come to the forefront of the imagine, it becomes just about tangible - so much so that you long for it, that even being in the vicinity of Charleston Place makes it seem as if you've almost arrived.

Hmm ...

God' s kind of been challenging me today concerning my outlook on what the "big plan" really is. Somehow, I come around to thinking so egocentrically and wonder how God and ministry, etc., are going to fit into my "big plan" and how I am actively trying to fit them into my "big plan" while totally overlooking the most obvious error here: my little plan fits into God's big plan, not vice versa. I love that! There is so much freedom and relief of worry when you consider that you really don't have to make the plans at all - He is faithful - but I'm still learning to trust Him.

Today on my run, I came across Root Elementary's marquis (markee, marquee, marqui, uh) which was advertising the upcoming "3rd Grade Muscial" ... yes, muscial not musical. I noticed this pretty quick and thought that the most civil thing to do would be to simply switch the c and the i (of course I did have to go through a quick debate as to whether they really meant muscial, but I have a decent vocabulary and that's not an entry in my dictionary, so I thought that in context, it had to have been just a slip of the pen when someone was puting the sign up). The sign's locked ... it's locked, well I guess that makes sense, I've seen a lot of vandalism done to signs like that, but when someone really wants to help and can't, it can be a little frustrating. Thus, if I am to live in Fayetteville someday and am blessed with an amazing husband and adorable children, I've made a note not to send them to Root (shaky foundation, perhaps). - It's pretty amusing, really.

*dictionary.com says there is no such thing as muscial - they may be doing revolutionary things overthere at Root and the public just has no idea what they're up to ... but that's just the optimist in me!

Good night.

Oh yeah ... 40 miles - I want to run a total of 40 miles this week - I'm at 12.5 and 2 days of 7 have passed. Four tomorrow morning with Laurie will leave only 23.5 for W, R, F, & S. Doable, doable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home